We have come up with instructional material on how to make face masks to support our blind and low vision persons during this pandemic period in time. The materials required are easy to source and can be found in our homes.
- 1-yard cord, thin ribbon, or shoestrings.
- 2 pieces of fabric, cotton or flannel, 6 x 12
- Place right sides of fabric together. You should have 2 rectangles on top of each other so that the
right sides of each fabric are facing in.
- Hand sew along both long sides of the fabrics. When finished you should have a sleeve that is turned
wrong sides out.
- Turn your fabric so that the right sides are facing out. Flatten down the seams and straighten the
- Cut 4, 9 inch pieces of cord.
- Fold over one short side of fabric about 1/2 inch. Put one piece of cord in the fold. Sew the cord into
place. Pull on it to make sure it is secure.
- Repeat process with 2nd piece of cord at the bottom of the same fold.
- Hold mask to your face so that the side with the attached cords sits just in front of your ear.
- Make a fold on the unfinished side just in front of the other ear.
- Sew the 3rd and 4th pieces of cord into the fold at the top and bottom.
- Cut off any excess fabric from this side, leaving a 1/2 inch piece.
- On the short side of your fabric, make 2 to 3 pleats and sew them in place. Repeat on the other short